Friday, May 10, 2013

Day 1

Today is inoculation day.  I am beginning with 100 TTO and 35 NA.  As mentioned in my previous post, I am taking prednisone so my reaction to both the TTO and NA is likely to be duller (less itching or other effects) than had I not been on prednisone.  AIT actually recommends taking prednisone to patients who have or think they might have a stronger reaction to infection.

The TTO comes in a small vile to be ingested.  I was a little surprised that when I was going to swallow it nothing came out.  The surface tension of the fluid was actually holding it in place because the vial is so small.  Tilting the vial more slowly instead of trying to take it like a shot of whiskey did the trick.  I then rinsed the vial with tap water drinking the rinse water each time.  The solution is slightly salty but there's hardly enough of it to really even taste it.


The NA kit comes with two small vials.  The first contains the hookworm and the second contains a rinse solution to dislodge hookworm that may be hanging on to the sides of the vial.


One applies the hookworm on a bandage and then uses the rinse solution on the hookworm vial.  The rinse solution is then also added to the bandage.  The bandage has adhesive on all four edges to keep the solution in but really the cotton part of the bandage does that well enough - it's not a lot of fluid so the bandage feels only ever so slightly damp.  I added a little bit of loosely wrapped co-flex just as insurance that the bandage would not come off.


Within five minutes I felt the first pin prick and then shortly after a cascade of other little pricks.  After ten minutes the excitement was over.  I will continue to wear the patch for at least four hours in case there are any stragglers.  I haven't noticed any itching or other ill effects.

I began this procedure at approximately 3am while the rest of my family was asleep.  Because of the prednisone this is when I wake up "normally".  While supportive, my wife didn't actually want to see me doing this so it's the perfect time.  I have to admit a slight urge at 4am to shout, "Argh.. The worms have got me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment